Thursday, December 10, 2009

A pleasant surprise!



In my last post, I mentioned the Leafs home woes and their tendency to suffer a let down after a big win. Tonight, they proved me wrong on both accounts by playing a strong game on home ice against the New York Islanders.

What can I say? Luke Schenn is starting to look more comfortable again. He made one turnover that led to a penalty, but he also flattened Jon Sim and was otherwise a solid player for the Leafs. I know the coaches are trying to get him to produce offensively, but I think they should make sure he is rock solid in his own end. He looked that way last season at times.

Jason Blake is finally being rewarded (ignoring his big contract of course) for his hard work. The game winning goal tonight is suitable prize for a player who seems to give 100% every game. Except on the first goal of the game by the Leafs, I think the second powerplay unit looked more fluid and had better control. I think this is, in part, because of Jason Blake and his play along the boards.

Beauchemin scored. When I was at the game on Monday, I could see just how hard he can shoot. He truly possesses a rocket.

Finally, Vesa Toskala was the man tonight. Even though he allowed two goals in the third, he also won Toronto the game in the third period when he was bombarded with quality chances. His post to post save on Okposo was beautiful and, I hope, is a sign that he is rounding back into his form from two seasons ago.

The Leafs did what they need to do from now on - win in regulation. If they can beat Boston tomorrow, they will inch closer and closer to a playoff position. After the weekend's massacre, I would normally say that the Leafs will struggle. I think the Leafs will take the momentum from tonight and from Monday and carry it over into tomorrows contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment