Monday, December 14, 2009

In this instance, hate is not too strong of a word.

I absolutely, positively despise the Ottawa Senators.

I am a big supporter of the Toronto Maple Leafs and a hockey fan in general. If I could see one team implode and wither away, it would be the Ottawa Senators. Ever since I have watched hockey, I've watched Ottawa and their stupid faces.

The rivalry between Toronto and Montreal is historic and goes back to the start of the 20th century. For me, Montreal is a rival, but there is a level of respect for them and all they have done. Without the Canadiens, the Leafs would be weaker. I do not hate the Canadiens. I don't wish harm on the Canadiens. I do wish for terrible things to happen to Daniel Alfreddson. The rivalry between the Sens and Leafs has not existed as long, but it means more to me. I've watched those playoff series (even though they came before I was a serious hockey fan). I remember having my heart smashed by Dany Heatley and Jason Spezza over and over again since the lock-out.

When I watch the Leafs and the Senators, I get angry. I throw things around the living room. I yell spiteful, hateful things at the TV. It is fun to get into a game that much - but only when my team wins. Whenever Ottawa beats the Leafs, it ruins my day. No, it ruins my week. Heck, it can even linger for a whole month. I still get pissed off thinking about the 2007/08 home opener. At least Dany Heatley plays in the other conference now...

Tonight, the Leafs can make it four straight at home and continue to inch closer to a playoff spot. More importantly to me, they can beat a rival and team that is ahead of them. I hope Colton Orr can grab Spezza and put a fist right into his nose.

Go Leafs Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment