Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My first game, and what's next...



So, I've officially seen a live Maple Leafs game in person. I sat at the very back of the Air Canada Centre and had only standing room behind me. Despite being so far from the action, I enjoyed every moment of the game. Listening to, and interacting with the people around me was definitley fun. I tried to start a few "Go Leafs Go" chants.

I always thought that when people said the ACC was quiet, they had to be exagerating. After experiencing the game first hand, it is true. I think the crowd is louder at the Barrie Molson Centre then the ACC. Even after the celebration of a goal, the crowd quickly died down to near silence. Maybe, sitting at the very back, I did not get to hear the entire crowd. I don't know. It seemed very quiet (except when the crowd was prompted by the screens to "Make Noise").

I would say my experience was great. Everyone around me had fun and I loved seeing Poni collect two quick goals. Some of the stops from Toskala were very impressive and had the kids next to me really cheering.

Now, the Leafs welcome the New York Islanders to town. Do you remember last time? Do you remember how the Leafs took over 60 shots and still found a way to lose?

I think, as Ron Wilson said, the team is doing a better job of going to the net and looking for rebounds. They have a "shoot first" mentality and everyone is now clueing in to what to do around the net. The Islanders are coming to Toronto after playing a tough game and losing to the Flyers tonight, while the Leafs played a relatively easy game against the Thrashers on Monday and are rested.

Why do I get a strange feeling of dread? The Leafs terrible record on home ice is a start, and their performance against the Islanders last month is another reason to feel a bit quesy. Still, the Leafs have been playing well for a few weeks now. Tomorrow's game should be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment