Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Time for change?

Brian Burke may have to consider firing his friend this off-season.
It has been a long time since I last posted. It has been hard for me to write anything about this team that hasn't already been said, and it is difficult for me to write about this team as it continues to struggle.

Entering this 2010/11 season, I had very high hopes. With improved goaltending, a new captain, and a few more players up front, I thought this team would be competing for a playoff spot. Instead, the Toronto Maple Leafs find themselves fighting to stay out of the draft lottery.

It is hard to say if this version of the team is any better then the team we saw struggle to compete last season. Between Giggy and the Monster, our goaltending has been only a small percentage better. Our defence has Brett Lebda continuing to give the opposition opportunities to score while Mike Komisarek gets paid a boat load to be, at best, a third pairing defender. The offence has moments where they look good, but then the team gets shut out by Dwayne Roloson. Seriously, Roloson must love it anytime he sees the Leafs are coming to town. I cannot remember him ever playing poorly against us.

This is not really what I wanted to talk about, really. What I did want to talk about was the coach of this hockey team, Ron Wilson.

Throughout the last three seasons, two things have been consistent with this Maple Leafs team. The powerplay has been anemic and the penalty kill has been an absolute joke. Both of these failures, at least from what I've seen, can both be blamed on the current coaching staff of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

This has been a huge frustration for me. I am not angry that the team has struggled, but that the powerplay has continued to look the exact same over three years with Kessel replacing Mats Sundin on the side boards. The coaching staff has failed to move players around and change to look of the powerplay despite the lack of success.

I remember when Paul Maurice was behind the bench, the Leafs started out with the cross crease pass to Tucker. As teams keyed in on that move, the powerplay shifted to focus more on an umbrella with Sundin on the side boards. When the powerplay struggled, the team tried different things instead of just staying with one system.

With Ron Wilson behind the bench, the players have changed completely but the results have stayed the same. I know this current Leafs team was not expected to set the NHL on fire, but they have looked absolutely pathetic on some nights. I think a coaching change needs to happen. This team may not be a lock for the playoffs right now, but is better then 26th overall in league.

Will Ron Wilson be the head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs next season?

2 comments:

  1. HE'D BETTER NOT BE! I know Burke loves 'loyalty' but this is getting ridiculous. I'm assuming the plan is to build the team that can eventually win, and to have Ron Wilson be here when that amazing team is finally ready.
    Problem with that plan is, what has he done or shown here to prove that he is the guy that should be holding the reins? My opinion is: nothing.
    I'm not saying a coaching change will rocket this team forward (it might...) but at this point I see no reason to 'sit tight' and wait for some magic trade or turnaround that doesn't appear to be on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three years is more than enough time to show
    even a little bit of improvement.
    Paul Maurice was only given two.
    Time for a new coach that can teach some
    basic skills that the Leafs seem to keep missing. Stuff we were taught in junior,
    these big boys keep forgetting.
    If the new coaching staff can't get any results,
    then we will worry about the GM.

    ReplyDelete