Monday, November 9, 2009

The "C"



One month in to the 2009/10 campaign, and the Toronto Maple Leafs do not have a captain. Francois Beauchemin, Mike Komisarek and Tomas Kaberle all wear the "A" on their chest and that makes them front runners to inherit the captaincy. That does not mean they will become the next captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs, however.

Mike Komisarek has definitley improved his level of play from the first weeks of the season. He has become a steady, reliable defensive partner for Tomas Kaberle and has thrown several huge hits. His hit on Montreal's Glen Metropolit is an example of how Komisarek has improved as the season has gone on.

Francois Beauchemin seems to still be adjusting to playing with his new team. He does not have Scott Niedermayer next to him and is just now rounding into form. I think he is a good addition to the team, but I do not believe he is a leader who can make others step up when the game gets difficult.

Kaberle has exploded offensively in the last few games and now has 2 goals and 18 points to lead the Maple Leafs. His impact on the powerplay is huge, and with Kessel and Stempniak each sitting on the wings waiting to unleash one-timers, Kaberle has more time and more open ice to work with. However, I would not make him the captain of the hockey club. He is the longest serving Leaf, but I do not think he enjoys being in the spotlight. This could be seen last year when, surrounded by trade rumours and being constantly hounded by the media, his play fell off. Even with his impact on the team, I do not believe Kaberle is the captain the Leafs need.

So, it sounds like Mike Komisarek should be the next captain, right?

It might sound like that is what I am saying, but I am not. The captain of your hockey team needs to be a fighter. He cannot be afraid to fight for his position and battle every game. He also needs to lead by example, whether he can help his team offensively or defensively. I think Mike Komisarek fits this criteria, but I think someone else fits and has done more and battled more.

If it was my choice, I would make Ian White the captain and leader of the Toronto Maple Leafs - and not just because of his wicked facial hair.

Last season, Ian White started the season as a healthy scratch. He managed to fight his way onto the team and since then has been a stalwart on the Leafs blueline. His tenacity and ability shows in his stats. White scored 10 goals and led the team with a +6 rating despite missing 11 games. What he lacks in physical size he makes up in his willingness to battle. It seems like White never takes a shift off, and that is the kind of example you want your captain to set.

This season, White is one of only 4 Maple Leafs without a negative +/- rating and even when the team was playing poorly in October, Ian White was putting in a competitive effort each night. He has 3 goals and 9 points this season while recieving minimal powerplay time. His play in his own end has been very good and he has helped ease the burden of generating offence from the forwards.

I believe Ian White should wear the "C". All that is needed is a contract extension for Mr. White.


2 comments:

  1. While I agree White has played great, the only thing I have to wonder is about what we can't see.

    I wonder how White is in the dressing room. Will guys listen if he is the one that is standing up and talking? We can't tell from our view only the team knows those questions which of course makes it a bit more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that. I am just using the information that is available to me, although with a moustache like that I can't see people not listening to him.

    ReplyDelete